2023 YES Biz Grant Application
The National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc. (NCBW) is a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 1970 which through advocacy, our members work as change agents to influence policy that promotes gender equity in health, education, civic engagement and economic empowerment for Black women and girls. At a National level, NCBW reaches a span of 61 chapters across the 28 states. The Phoenix Chapter (our chapter), was established on November 14, 2015, with forty-six dynamic Black Women leaders.
The Economic Empowerment Committee implements programming that focuses on financial literacy, family wealth building, and entrepreneurship. Our programs include comprehensive workshops and seminars that promote economic self-sufficiency.
About Afro Unicorn®
Founder of Afro Unicorn®, April Showers, decided that she was tired of being called a unicorn and not having one to identify with. In 2019 she launched Afro Unicorn®. Finally, a unicorn that was diverse and inclusive. April not only wanted the image of the unicorn to represent women and children of color for apparel and accessories, but she also wanted the meaning behind the unicorn to represent women’s financial independence, and her belief that one person should never rely on one source of income to dictate their livelihood. Growing her brand organically on Instagram, she was able to attract the likes of Tiffany Haddish, Sherri Shepheard, and Alicia Keys early on to rave and promote the brand. In a little over two years, she has become the first Black women to have a licensed character in major retail. The Afro Unicorn® brand can be found in select Target and Kohl’s stores and more than 3800 Walmart stores worldwide in apparel and many other categories.
What is the YES Biz Grant?
As a part of the Youth Entrepreneur Series (YES) offered by NCBW100 Phoenix, with the financial support and strategic partnership of Afro Unicorn®, NCBW100Phoenix has developed the Youth Entrepreneur Series (YES) Biz Grant.
The YES Biz Grant will be awarded to Black, female aspiring or existing entrepreneurs between the ages of 5-17 who reside in the state of Arizona. The YES Biz grant was developed to drive positive systemic change that results in gender equity in business and economic empowerment, to create a foundation for building generational wealth for Black girls, and to promote and support youth entrepreneurship. The Youth Entrepreneur Series and the YES Biz Grant demonstrate our commitment to advocate for and invest in, young Black female entrepreneurs.
The YES Biz Grant is offering five grant awards in the amount of $1,000 each for winners to launch a new business venture or reinvest in their existing businesses. It is all about supporting young, Black, female entrepreneurs in their quest to turn concepts into cash.
- Black, female ages 5-17
- Reside in Arizona
- Aspiring or existing entrepreneur
- Must submit application + Business Plan (Due January 30, 2023)
- Must complete both virtual workshops
- Register and complete the first training session- Fashion Your Business Plan (Virtual), Jan 21, 2023.
- Submit YES Biz Grant application and business plan: Jan 30, 2023.
- Race, gender, and age will be verified via photo ID/student ID or report card.
- Register and complete second training session – Fashion Your Pitch (Virtual), Feb 4, 2023.
- Applicants will be notified if they have passed Phase One and if they will move on to Phase Two to pitch their business ideas at the Pitch Perfect Contest: Feb 6, 2023.
- Those who pass Phase One will pitch at Pitch Perfect Contest (Hybrid), Feb 25, 2023, before a panel of judges and members in the community.
- Five (5) winners of the $1,000 grant will be notified on the spot at Pitch Perfect, Feb 25, 2023.
- Funds will be disbursed in March 2023.
- Winners will be recognized at our Madam C.J. Walker Economic Empowerment Expo on June 10, 2023. Winners will also be granted a booth at the Expo to display their products or services.
Grant applications are due by 11:59 pm MST on January 30, 2023. Please submit your completed grant application and business plan to ATTN: Economic Empowerment Scholarship Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start Your Application
- Download your application
- Click here to register for required training (Session One): Fashion Your Business Plan
- Click here to register for required training (Session Two): Fashion Your Pitch
Please direct all questions to ATTN: Economic Empowerment Committee at email@example.com.